I announced at one point, "I'm going to have a Coke." My 8yr old said "What, and go off your diet?" I was literally gripping a railing, watching (smelling) my kids pull apart a pink cotton candy. The Husband was scooping up Frozen Lemonade and the kid next to me was chomping on a lollipop as big as her head. Across the way, I saw (and smelled) a pretzel stand that sent me over the edge. At the end of our last night we took the kids to the Ice Cream parlor on Main Street and I after being flabbergasted at the sugary creations, I decided to head next door to the Coffee Shop. Only to be tempted with a case full of pastries the size and chocolatiness I have never seen. The temptations were never ending! Maybe I was feeling more stressed then usual, I am a planner and all vacation duties fall to me. The Husband becomes a 3rd child and instead of enjoying the trip I become overwhelmed with all the decisions .
In the end I did not have that Coke or any of the other obvious high sugar choices. But I did regularly over indulge in moderately high carb items through out the trip, like potatoes (mashed, hashed or fried). Sometimes I ordered the right item, they brought the wrong thing and I just ate it (that happened over and over again on this trip). Other times I intended to eat just half, but then I figured it would be awhile until I had the chance to eat again and it would be okay. My weight was up 2.5 lbs this morning!
Here is what I would do differently:
Water - Drinking lots of water helps keep you hydrated and feeling full.
Pick an indulgence and be DONE with it - If there was something I was especially craving, I just should have had a few bits of it, and been done with it. Instead, I spent days being tempted at every turn and overeating on things that meant nothing to me.
Pack your Snacks - For the road or plane, taking your own snacks is the best idea. I took food, but just for the drive down and breakfasts. I should have done more.
- Celery stalks - This is the best, with lots of fiber and keeps me feeling full.
- Zucchini Sticks - I never eat enough vegetables on vacation.
- Cereal - Your favorite low sugar cereal makes for a quick breakfast or a dry snack.
- Dark Chocolate - Bring it just in case you need it, better safe than sorry! Surrounded by all the sweets, I really do wish I had packet some. I searched high and low and couldn't find any 85% or better dark chocolates are Disney or the gift shops along our route.
- Lunch meats - Salami and sliced turkey are good and satisfying. I should have packed a cold bag for the car and taken advantage of the in room refrigerator.
These are all things I knew to do, maybe I thought I was above the temptations after being on the plan so long. Maybe I was just to rushed to worry about the little details of a trip. But I need to concentrate on today, an not beat myself up over those mistakes. In a way I am completely shocked it took me 11 months on this plan to be tripped up like this! Damn you Disney ;-) But it really teaches me that I have to be careful and prepared all the time. Maintenance will likely be more difficult then I thought.... but more on that later.